Daily Archives: July 29, 2017

My electronics are dying

My phone will only work by plugging in the charger and unplugging it because the on-off switch is busted. My laptop refuses to charge and only works when plugged in. Now I can almost understand the laptop getting creaky, I bought it back in 2013. In laptop years that makes it almost pre-historic. And my 2½ YO phone is equally ancient in an industry that cycles through another generation every 9 months. But that doesn’t mean I have to like it.

What really pisses me off about the phone is I was getting out of memory messages about my apps, so I spent almost as much as the initial cost of the phone before rebate tripling the capacity, going from 8GB to 24GB with a 16GB card. And I still get out of memory errors with more than 15GB free space in the card. I really don’t get that. Stupid phone, you wanted memory, I bought as much memory as you can hold, and you still say “out of memory” with almost twice the free space as when I bought you. Stupid phone. Who designs a system that puts everything in working memory and refuses to use free storage even for things like saving pictures unless you move each picture there manually one at a time? It is storage, dangit, store things in it. Like updates and texts and pictures, and other things that need storing for later use. But for some reason I don’t have anything to tell the phone to do that and to download updates to the card then run the update from the card. It almost looks like the phone was designed to use up its operating memory and then get replaced every year…

And I can’t seem to be able to cut a straight line lately, making cutting a new floor for the TGS2 scale mockup mostly an exercise in frustration and spoiled materials. I’m back to getting lots of good stiff card stock as junk mail so this isn’t actually costing me money, but it is still frustrating to not be able to get stuff done so I can see progress. And this particular thing is so simple, I literally need to cut one piece of paper to shape and tack-glue it to something else and paint it so everything is the same color, then cut, paint and glue another piece of paper so I can take a picture and post it here so you can see what the finished car is supposed to look like, more or less.

I should mention that I decided to move the engine/transmission forward rather than stretch the body back, so the wheelbase went from the Speedway kit’s 102″ to 90″, helping the balance just a scosh. It is only a percent or two depending on the fuel load and driver weight, but at this point every little bit helps. I think one of the things I’m going to do on Monday is pick up another set of stones for the hone so I can get the kingpins finished before the turn of the next century. The ones that came with the tool seem to have given their all honing the chrome-moly axle boss to fit the kingpins.

And I think it is probably a good time to hit the hay.

Advertisements