What I did this 4th of July

Well I went out and did some shopping as depicted in the photograph.
It needs a name

This is my new exercise weight and car repellant. I needed something heavier than my 2 pound hand weight but was not comfortable with buying 5 pound weights which was the next step up, plus I only have the one free hand when walking. It needs a name, but I’m not comfortable with naming it after Thor’s Mjolnir, because number one it can’t live up to the name, and two I’m not Heathen or Asratu, I’m Eclectic Wiccan and I follow (sort of follow) a Greek forge god. Actually I look to Hephaestus as more of an inspiration than a focus of worship. But that still leaves me with a nameless hammer.

I also got some nut driver sockets for use with my drill, and some 12″ by 12″ (cut size) wash cloths that were free with the coupon. And on the way home I redeemed a coupon for 2 Ultimate Cheeseburgers for $5 and added small fries and a small drink, and now I’m stuffed. I ate an actual pound of meat, plus cheese and buns, small fries and a Coke Zero, and I was still able to walk the half-mile from the convenience store where I bought the Lotto ticket to my house, but I think I’ll skip the ice cream tonight.

Also, I got the installed measurements for the Subaru EJ engine in an Impreza wagon and I have to say it’s looking pretty good. The height and width are slightly more “as installed” but the really good number was the firewall to front pulley number. This is the installed distance between the two points and allows for 11″ of clearance for the intake and the intercooler and is all behind the rear face of the block. This is longer than the input shaft on the T5 which will handle the output from the 2.5l turbo engine just fine. And that means I can move the engine even further to the right because the bellhousing will be clear of structure. That’s a 250 pound engine mated to a 80 pound transmission for a total powertrain weight of 330 pounds. The offset has to balance my weight of 225 pounds in driving suit and helmet that has an arm of 11.25″ or 2531 inch-pounds or engine offset of 7.67″. That’s going to hang a lot of the right side of the engine out from under the hood. When I started on this project I was looking at a 545 pound engine bolted to a 125 pound transmission that only put out 100 more HP. I went from 1700 pounds without driver to 1360 and lowered the CofG significantly and I only need to tune an additional 15 HP to get the same power-to-weight ratio. That’s a tank of E85 and a few minutes on a dyno adjusting boost. Seriously, at this point I have to say I think I have found the closest thing to a perfect engine for this beast, if I can find one to install.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.