If that last doc was a test to see if I would quit, I failed it. It was worse than trying to figure out a “Wheel of Fortune” puzzle with most of the letters missing from one word, because it was all of the letters missing from most of the words. And the most annoying part is the unknown words were in a different language so I couldn’t even try substituting words with the correct number of letters.
I did tell the client that the reason I didn’t finish the job was what they gave me was basically impossible to complete. I sent the doc back with all the blank Unicode boxes replaced with / or – and told them that this was what they sent to me when I got it, long strings of unreadable characters with a few words of English, and said I was cleanup, not a translator. I never learned whatever language they wrote the document in, and their translation program was terrible for what they were trying to do. I suggested either expanding the dictionary in the translation program, or just using a translation program that knew more words and idioms. If they take my advice I might still get some money from the gig when they get a better translation program, because I really don’t want to lose this gig. I might even make enough money to pay taxes next year if the gig works out.
Also I really hate not being up to a challenge, I hate to lose at something like this.