Tag Archives: weight

Ooops.

I made a statement two posts ago about revamping the frame design adding 30 pounds to the car. That was an error based on the fact that I added or relocated 8 frame braces during the redesign so I figured the weight for all 8 changes. Then last post I stated the empty car weight was 1450 pounds which was accurate based on calculating the length of every frame member and multiplying that by the weight per foot of tubing for that size tube.

There are 2 different tubes used in the Sprint-T. Most of the frame is made from 1.5″ X 0.060″ wall round DOM tubing, except the rollover structure which is 1.5″ X 0.120″ for rules compliance. Now because of the design there is room for interpretation as to where the frame ends and the rollover structure begins, but I’m taking the interpretation that any diagonal braces that touch the rear hoop inclusive are rollover, and everything else is frame. There are a lot of tubes in the frame, the front and rear hoops are the longest at roughly 16 feet apiece as they wrap around the body, and then the upper and lower frame rails at roughly 100″ each for a total of 400″ or just under 34 feet total. Then there are the front suspension mount, the internal diagonals for the rear hoop, the bracing inside the top halo, and the rest of the diagonals that connect everything together to make one solid structure. That comes to another 40 or so feet in mixed sizes.

So, all told the Sprint-T frame carries a few more pounds than the Speedway kit frame, but is orders of magnitude more stiff, both in bending and especially in torsion. The Speedway frame is 2 hunks of 1.5″ X 3″ X 0.120″ wall rectangular tubing with round tube crossmembers to hang the engine and transmission from. Adequate in bending loads under all circumstances, but lacking in torsion to be charitable. It is an upgrade from the Model T frame or any OE Ford frame used back in the day, but that is damning with faint praise. It was designed as a cruising or freeway frame, not for racing and especially not for racing around cones set up in a parking lot. It was not made for installing a rear roll hoop that meets SCCA safety rules for one thing and as an open car (no roof structure) it would be required to have a full cage, and there is no place to mount the front hoop either. Now there is a place to mount a drag race style cage, but not an autocross legal cage. This is annoying because using the kit frame would make the build so much easier. And probably cheaper, too. There would be work involved with relocating the suspension pickups to prevent the tire-lifting behavior of the stock rear axle and the resulting power oversteer in tight corners even with radical bigs-‘n’-littles tire sizes (I saw a YouTube video of a bucket getting sideways off a corner with 14″ wide rear tires and 3″ wide fronts).

Advertisements

I got catcalled on my walk

While I was walking Monday evening a pretty girl drove beside me, rolled down her window and shouted out how sexy my body was “WHOO!” And I’m just vain enough to appreciate it. I was wearing a pair of my “just loose enough to let me walk” shorts and a shirt that wasn’t skin tight, but very much “not baggy”. I may be old and died once, but I’m not still dead. I like it when a woman someone tells me I’m sexy, even if I’m not interested in them.

The catcalls had the effect of causing my tension about the TGS2 to ease somewhat so that I’m not stressing about the build any more. I’m sure that if Mrs. the Poet had been the one doing the catcalling I wouldn’t be stressing about anything.

Anywho I did some looking up to find out how much the RWD version of the transmission in the donor vehicle weighed for a possible front engine RWD bucket and it looks like 100 pounds even. So that stuff to move the output from the end of the transmission to the other end and connect to the front wheels is either extremely heavy, or the previous reported weight for my transmission was way over reality. TBH I would be overjoyed if the 41te was in the 125-150 pound range, that would be 50-75 pounds off the rear axle. I tried to find another source for the 41te weight but all I found was another referral to the link with the 200 pound shipping weight with pallet less fluids. And the link to the 62te weight of 220 in same condition. What I really need is to have the donor vehicle in my drive with a hoist and a scale. Then I could stop looking for information on the web that might not even be there. Looking up the weight of a standard shipping pallet (bare) gives a range of 33 to 48 pounds which gives my transaxle a possible weight range of 152-167 pounds. 🙂 And the fill chart adds 65 pounds of fluids to that empty weight. 😦

So now I’m back to looking at odd tire combinations like 245/45R17 front and 315/35R17 rear Mickey Thompson Street Comps . The fronts are about right for the total weight of the car while the rears would be suited for a car much heavier than the TGS2, so I’m not giving up front grip, just going to extremes for rear grip. Welp, you gotta do what you gotta do. And I could totally drive around with those tires and just swap springs/shocks for Goodguys. They have the same diameter as the 255/60R15 Radial TA tires I was looking at for the street back when this project had a SBC in front of the firewall instead of a Chrysler V6 in front of the rear axle. So I can use the design ride height from all the way back to the beginning of this project back when it was the Sprint-T.

And my arm and neck are tingling and working wonky, so I’m putting this one to bed right now.